Saturday, January 10, 2009

President, King, or God?

As we approach Inauguration Day for Barack Obama, I find myself wondering what we have elected. I know the election was for the office of President of the United States of America. However, since the conclusion of that historic election, based on various statements from inside the Obama circle, I have wondered whether we elected Barack Obama as our president, our king, or God.

As early as Sunday, November 9, 2008, a guest on the television show, MEET THE PRESS, was talking about the upcoming Obama presidency. I do not recall the woman's name but her position with the Obama organization put her in charge of the transition team, if my poor old 55-year-old memory serves me correctly. She spoke, with great anticipation, of being "ready to rule" on the first day of the Obama presidency. It was the term "rule" that kind of perked up my ears. Our elected national leader PRESIDES over the operation of our democracy...hence the name PRESIDENT. Since that Sunday morning, I have heard several references on television and radio to the upcoming "rule" of Barack Obama.

Even prior to Obama's election, we had quotes likening Barack Obama to the Savior, the Anointed One, the One We Have Been Waiting For. Speaking only for myself, I believe I will have to wait until Barack Obama walks across the Reflecting Pool on the Mall before I am ready to announce his presidency as the Next Coming.

The unfortunate aspect of all this falls on President-elect Obama himself. In this blog, on Tuesday, November 4, 2008, I stated that we must all now offer our support and best wishes for success for our new incoming president. However, I fear that the bar is being set so high for President Obama, that he is doomed to failure, in the eyes of many of his more liberal supporters, before he even starts his administration.

Barack Obama is a bright, well-spoken and accomplished politician. This fact is undeniable. Whether he will be a competent president for this great country remains to be seen. However, I am sure we are not going to crown him King for Life and even more certain that he falls more than a few steps short of being God.

Besides, that position is already occupied.

AMEN

No comments: